Cranberries contribute bright color and tingling taste to any holiday spread. Here they get a little extra zip from some ground red chile, preferably New Mexican, and more crunch from pecans that flourish in southern New Mexico.
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 large orange (10 to 12 oz.)
- 12 oz. (1 bag) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. pure ground mild red chile
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Toast pecans in dry skillet over medium until warm and fragrant. Place in bowl of food processor with chopping blade.
- Zest orange and add peel to food processor. Cut white pith from orange with small knife. Discard pith and seeds, and cut orange into several chunks.
- Add orange, cranberries, ground chile and 1/2 cup sugar to processor, and chop coarsely. Taste and add more sugar as needed, but relish should be refreshingly tart. Chill at least 30 minutes and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 1 g