Fragrant rosemary adds pungent flavor, but if it wasn't included in your harvest, use lavender, more sage, or dried thyme instead.
Serves 8 (makes 3 quarts)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 container (32 oz) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) low-sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, fresh or frozen, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 lb frozen collard greens
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh Parmesan
1. In a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat, heat oil.
2. Cook onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and sage, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas, green beans, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Reduce heat and simmer until kidney beans are warmed through and green beans begin to soften, 10 minutes.
5. Add collards; cover and cook until warmed through, 1 minute.
6. Serve topped with Parmesan.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 174
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g