Greens cook down considerably and will reduce at least one-quarter in volume. One pound of raw kale will yield about 2 1/2 cups cooked. A dash of hot pepper sauce adds dimension to this colorful dish.
- 1 medium-sized bunch kale
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium-sized unpeeled russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dry vermouth
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized head cauliflower, cut into about 2-inch florets
- 1 14.5-oz. can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. cold water
- 1 Tbs. tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
- Strip kale leaves from stalks, and rinse thoroughly in colander; set aside.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepan for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and peppers, sauté for 2 minutes and add potatoes. Cook for 4 minutes, and add vermouth, mushrooms and cauliflower. Cook for 2 minutes, add kale and mix thoroughly. Cook mixture for 5 minutes, and reduce heat to low.
- Chop stewed tomatoes coarsely in food processor, and add tomatoes, thyme and yeast to kale mixture. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, and stir in with tamari and lemon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and serve.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 288 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g