Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl of electric mixer. Add 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Let stand until yeast is foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add remaining sugar, milk and salt to bowl and stir. Add 3 cups of the flour. Mix to blend at medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Beat in whole egg to incorporate. Stir in remaining flour and knead with dough hook until satiny and smooth, 12 to 15 minutes. You may need to stop mixer and push down dough as it rises above hook.
- Turn dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise in a warm place about 1 1/2 hours, until it doubles in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Cover with inverted bowl and let rest another 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 14 x 18-inch rectangle. Spread evenly with 4 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle evenly with raisins or currants.
- Starting from an 18-inch side, roll dough jelly-roll fashion; moisten along edge and pinch to seal. Cut roll into 16 equal pieces. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan sprayed well with cooking spray. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Brush egg white lightly over rolls. Bake until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size Makes 16
- Calories 225
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 21 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 173 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g