This rich, delicately flavored soup makes a festive appetizer for a holiday meal.
- 3 Tbs. butter or vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (½ cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 15-oz. jar cooked, peeled whole chestnuts, chopped (2½ cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. Marsala wine
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves for garnish, optional
- 1 Tbs. butter or vegan margarine
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 8 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2–3 Tbs. Marsala wine
To make Soup:
1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and allspice, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add chestnuts, broth, and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until chestnuts are very soft. Remove bay leaf.
2. Purée Soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot, and stir in Marsala wine and cream.
To make Mushrooms:
3. Heat butter and garlic in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add Marsala wine, and cook 1 minute more, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
4. Season Soup with salt and pepper, and ladle into bowls. Garnish servings with Mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 227
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 29 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 415 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g