This rich-tasting coconut cream makes a scrumptious frosting for our fragrant Spice Cake (May '99/p. 50).
- 1/8 recipeServings
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 1 Tbs. agar-agar flakes
- 1 tsp. kudzu
- 1 cup lite or regular coconut milk
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- In small saucepan, mix apple juice and agar-agar flakes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, dissolve kudzu in 2 tablespoons water. Whisk in coconut milk and maple syrup, then whisk into apple juice mixture. Bring mixture to slow simmer over low heat, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Cook, whisking often, until agar-agar is completely dissolved, about 10 minutes (do not boil).
- Pour into shallow dish and cool to room temperature. Press Coconut Cream through fine-meshed sieve before using.
- Serving Size: Makes 3/4 cup
- Calories: 52
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 21 mg