Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Caramel and coconut pair well.
- To make Caramel: Heat sugar and 2 Tbs. water in saucepan over low heat until water simmers. Remove, and swirl pan until sugar dissolves.
- Cover pan, and boil over medium-high heat. When syrup’s surface is thick with bubbles, uncover, and continue to boil and swirl. When syrup is golden, remove, and keep swirling as it darkens. Pour 1/6 of syrup into each custard cup; swirl to coat bottoms.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Boil several cups of water for roasting pan.
- To make Coconut Flan: Blend milks and vanilla. Whisk in eggs; stir in coconut. Pour into custard cups, and set in large roasting pan. Pour 1 inch of boiling water into pan.
- Bake about 40 minutes; leave cups in pan 20 minutes. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- To serve, invert cup onto plate.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 440
- Carbohydrate Content 78 g
- Cholesterol Content 115 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 170 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g