Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Asian noodles have a tender texture which befits this delicately flavored salad. Soba are Japanese buckwheat noodles shaped like spaghetti, and udon are traditional Japanese wheat noodles shaped like linguine. Look for either in large supermarkets, health food stores or Asian markets.
- Tempeh Croutons: In large skillet, heat oil and soy sauce over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring often, until nicely browned and crisp. Sprinkle lightly with chili powder to taste and remove pan from heat.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. When water boils, add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook according to package directions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, sugar, rep pepper flakes, soy sauce or tamari and water until smooth and well blended.
- Drain noodles, rinse under cold running water and drain again. Transfer to large serving bowl.
- Add bean sprouts, tempeh croutons, green onions, cilantro or parsley, and peanuts if desired. Whisk dressing and pour over noodle-tempeh mixture; toss to mix and coat. Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 402 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g