Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Asian noodles have a tender texture that befits this delicately flavored salad. Soba are Japanese buckwheat noodles shaped like spaghetti, and udon are traditional Japanese wheat noodles shaped like linguine. Look for either in large supermarkets, natural food stores or Asian markets.
- Make croutons: In large skillet, heat oil and 1 Tbs. soy sauce over medium heat. Break tempeh into cubes and add to skillet. Cook, stirring often, until nicely browned and crisp. Sprinkle lightly with chili powder and remove pan from heat.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook according to package directions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, sugar, pepper flakes, 2 Tbs. soy sauce or tamari and water. Set aside.
- Drain noodles, rinse under cold running water and drain again. In large serving bowl, combine noodles, bean sprouts, tempeh, scallions, cilantro and peanuts if using. Whisk dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 364
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 866 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g