Freeze the last of summer's ears of sweet corn to make this chowder for Thanksgiving Day.
1. Roast and peel green chiles. Set aside.
2. To prepare chowder: Heat oil and butter in large, heavy saucepan over medium. Stir in onion, and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. In blender, purée 1 cup corn with 1 cup milk. Pour mixture into pan and add remaining milk with remaining corn, potato and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until potato is tender. Adjust heat, if necessary, to keep soup from boiling. Stir in cream and heat through. Add more salt, if desired, and pepper. Ladle into shallow bowls. Top with green chiles. Scatter pepitas over soup, if using. Serve hot.
Recipe from the November 2002 issue of Vegetarian Times.
- Serving Size: Serves: 8
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 40 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 490 mg