Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This superfast dish is a great way to use a variety of root vegetables. Try it with turnip, rutabaga and daikon as well.
Meal plan: Serve with a package of prepared barbecued tempeh fingers. Make a quick slaw with preshredded cabbage tossed with minced ginger, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and rice vinegar. Serve banana soy pudding for a delicious dessert.
- In medium saucepan, bring pot of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Cut vegetables into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Preheat broiler. Blanch vegetables until barely fork tender, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to medium bowl. Let cool a few minutes.
- Toss vegetables with oil, cornmeal, and a generous sprinkling of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray; place coated vegetables in single layer on cookie sheet. Broil until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes on the first side. Turn vegetables and broil the other side an additional 4 minutes.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 179
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 26 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g