- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 14- to 16-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tsp. good-quality curry powder or garam masala
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 tsp. coarse (kosher) salt
- Plain low-fat soy or regular yogurt for serving (optional)
- 3 medium apples (any all-purpose variety), peeled, cored and diced
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 to 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium all-purpose potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil nonstick baking sheet. Drain tofu and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; blot between clean tea towels or paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes then place on prepared baking sheet in single layer. Bake 15 minutes. Stir carefully then continue to bake until tofu is golden on most sides, stirring every 5 minutes, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in very large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add potatoes, apples, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), curry powder, ginger and 2 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in baked tofu, raisins, cilantro and salt and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot, topped with yogurt if desired.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 147 mg