Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Chunks of rhubarb accent this moist, tender cake. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the batter before baking to create a crisp top.
- To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Oil lightly an 8-inch square baking pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just to blend. Stir in rhubarb. Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- To make Topping: Stir together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is brown and crackled and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares, and serve while still warm.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 330
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 430 mg
- Sugar Content 34 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g