Because cranberries are naturally high in pectin, the fruit fiber that sets jams and jellies, there's no need to add a thickener to this filling. If you prefer a sweeter dessert, use refrigerated sugar cookie dough to craft the crust and lattice top.
- 3 cups fresh cranberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for sprinkling, divided
- 1 medium orange, for zest and juice (1 tsp. grated zest; 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 cup dried sweet cherries
- Refrigerated pastry for 2-crust pie (plain or whole wheat), or double recipe Perfect Every Time Piecrust
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with foil, and coat 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
2. Place 1 1/2 cups cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, orange zest, and cherries in food processor, and pulse until berries are coarsely chopped. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups cranberries, remaining 1 cup sugar, and orange juice.
3. Roll 1 piecrust into 10-inch disc. Press into prepared pan. Spoon in cranberry mixture, and brush edges with water.
4. Roll second piecrust into 10-inch disc. Cut dough into 1-inch-wide strips using knife or fluted pastry wheel. Lay strips in lattice pattern over top of pie, pressing edges to seal. Trim off any excess from strips. Sprinkle lattice with sugar, and bake on prepared baking sheet 55 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 356
- Carbohydrate Content: 79 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 155 mg
- Sugar Content: 53 g