Scones made with cream are decidedly rich, but they keep exceptionally well, which is one reason this is an ideal recipe for gift giving. If youd like to add a little crunch, a handful of chopped pecans or walnuts is usually a welcome addition.
Presentation Idea: There are a variety of ways to present these tea treats. You can cut them apart and place them in a small basket lined with a pretty cloth. Or buy a few cardboard circles from a bakery, cover with foil, slide the scones onto the circle, then wrap with cellophane and tie with a ribbon and bow. You can arrange the scones around a jar of Ginger-Apple-Pear Butter.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- Peel of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1 Tbs. chopped candied ginger (optional)
- 2 Tbs. cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Milk and sugar, for glaze
- In small bowl, mix cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8-inch circle in center of large baking sheet, or cover sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix remaining 1/3 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix in lemon peel and ginger if using. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries, and toss well.
- In small bowl, mix cream and vanilla. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add cream mixture. Stir just until dough pulls together. Keeping dough in bowl, knead 3 or 4 times with floured hands.
- On floured cutting board, pat dough into 7-inch circle. Slice dough into 6 or 8 wedges, as you would pie. Reassemble slices in center of baking sheet, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- Brush scones sparingly with milk, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute, then loosen scones with spatula. Slide entire batch onto cooling rack. Cool thoroughly before wrapping.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 237
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 38 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 362 mg