Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Scones made with cream are decidedly rich, but they keep exceptionally well, which is one reason this is an ideal recipe for gift giving. If youd like to add a little crunch, a handful of chopped pecans or walnuts is usually a welcome addition.
Presentation Idea: There are a variety of ways to present these tea treats. You can cut them apart and place them in a small basket lined with a pretty cloth. Or buy a few cardboard circles from a bakery, cover with foil, slide the scones onto the circle, then wrap with cellophane and tie with a ribbon and bow. You can arrange the scones around a jar of Ginger-Apple-Pear Butter.
- In small bowl, mix cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8-inch circle in center of large baking sheet, or cover sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix remaining 1/3 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix in lemon peel and ginger if using. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries, and toss well.
- In small bowl, mix cream and vanilla. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add cream mixture. Stir just until dough pulls together. Keeping dough in bowl, knead 3 or 4 times with floured hands.
- On floured cutting board, pat dough into 7-inch circle. Slice dough into 6 or 8 wedges, as you would pie. Reassemble slices in center of baking sheet, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- Brush scones sparingly with milk, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute, then loosen scones with spatula. Slide entire batch onto cooling rack. Cool thoroughly before wrapping.
- Serving Size 8 Servings
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 362 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g