- 2 cups cranberries, picked over and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 stick ( 1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 16 standard-size muffin pan cups. In medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 1 cup of sugar and nutmeg and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Cook mixture 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. In small bowl, mix egg, butter and milk and stir mixture into dry ingredients just until evenly blended.
- Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups. Top with cranberry mixture, then cover with remaining batter. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let muffins cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: Makes 16
- Calories: 157
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g