Serve this surprising, colorful and delicious stew with soft polenta or quinoa for a delicious and healthful meal. For a casual dinner party, try baking cornbread in cast-iron corncob molds, and place a corn stick on either side of the stew for each serving.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, preferably canola
- 4 cups coarsely diced onions
- 2 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 1/2 lb. parsnips, cut to length of carrots
- 6 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. crushed thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbs. water
- 1 cup dried cranberries for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in 3-quart Dutch oven or cast-iron casserole. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips, celery, stock, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 30 minutes. Add cranberries, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir cornstarch with water, and add to stew. Bring to a full boil, and cook 3 minutes. Garnish with dried cranberries, if desired, and serve in large soup bowls.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g