This vegan version of store-bought cupcakes will win over a crowd.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 7.5-oz. container vegan whipped topping
- 4 oz. semisweet vegan chocolate chips (2/3 cup)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Coat 12 muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into bowl. Add oil, vinegar, vanilla, and 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. cold water. Stir 50 strokes, or until smooth. Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, unmold, and cool completely.
- Cut wide cones out of cupcake bottoms, reserving cones. Scrape 1 Tbs. cake from insides. Spoon whipped topping into plastic bag. Snip corner of bag, and squeeze topping into cavities. Reinsert cake cones, and chill 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler, whisk in 1/4 cup boiling water, and use to frost cupcakes. Chill 30 minutes. Combine confectioners’ sugar and 1 Tbs. water in bowl. Transfer to plastic bag, and snip corner. Pipe curlicues atop cupcakes.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 cupcakes
- Calories: 285
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 141 mg
- Sugar Content: 38 g