Menu plan: This soup is great served with a loaf of crusty, whole grain bread.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, pureed with juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 8 oz. orzo
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- Fresh basil leaves, slivered, for garnish, optional
- Bring medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add tomato juice, pureed tomatoes and sugar, and simmer 5 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, add orzo to boiling water. Cook, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes; drain. Transfer to small bowl.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in soy milk, adding salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into individual bowls, adding one scoop of orzo to each. Garnish with slivered basil if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 993 mg