This orange-on-orange soup vibrates with a vivid color and a subtle tangy-sweet flavor. Delicious hot, it is also equally good chilled. Makes about 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 cups.
- 1 cup hulled uncooked red lentils, well rinsed
- 4 cups nonfat vegetable stock
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 6 large apricots
- 2 tsp. ground cumin, or to taste
- 2 tsp. garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. onion powder, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup toasted cashews, coarsely chopped, for garnish, optional
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Put lentils and vegetable stock into a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and continue cooking for about 15 minutes more, or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Put 1 cup cooked lentils, carrot juice, yogurt, apricots, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper into a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour mixture back into pan, and reheat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, ladle about 1 1/4 cups soup into individual bowls, and garnish with cashews, if using, cilantro leaves and apricots.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 310 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g