Fresh ginger adds a zesty flavor to this soup. Arrowroot, an easily digestible thickener, is also a source of calcium.
- Separate broccoli into stems and florets. Slice stems into small, thin pieces. You should have at least 5 to 6 cups of stems and about 4 cups of florets.
- In medium saucepan, combine soy milk, half of the broccoli stems and pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining broccoli stems, onion, celery, ginger, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until stems become tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli florets and 4 cups water and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until florets are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir arrowroot mixture and whisk into pot with broccoli florets. Return mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add soy milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- In food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to pot. Stir in lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 191
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 137 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g