- 5 1/2 to 6 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, diced butternut squash, 1-inch dice
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. In small saucepan, bring broth just to a simmer over medium-low heat.
2. While broth is heating, coat large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, heat pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir constantly 1 minute. Add wine and stir until almost completely absorbed, 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of hot broth to rice and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup broth and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Stir in squash and continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, making sure that most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more.
3. Remove pan from heat when about 1/2 cup liquid remains. Start checking doneness by biting into a grain of rice–it should be firm but tender. (Timing from first to last addition of broth is 25 to 30 minutes.) Stir in rosemary, Parmesan cheese if desired and salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 306
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 838 mg