Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Arrange these “fingers” in hand shapes on a platter, and they’ll disappear like magic. You can also serve them with dipping bowls of blood (ketchup) and green slime (prepared pesto).
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place walnuts on baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes, or until browned and fragrant. Cool.
2. Bring lentils and 4 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender and most of water is absorbed. Drain.
3. Purée lentils, walnuts, broth, oil, garlic, chili powder, lemon juice, cumin, and salt in food processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and cool 20 minutes, or until barely warm. Stir in spinach.
4. Spread 1/3 cup lentil mixture inside each hot dog bun. Close bun, and gently squeeze so filling mounds up in long “finger” shape along sides. Place one cucumber slice on end of each bun to resemble fingernail. Place 2 strips roasted red pepper on either side of filling in bun to outline “finger” shape. Draw joints and wrinkles with mayonnaise, if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 13
- Calories 279
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 445 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g