Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
“Frying” okra in the oven not only keeps fat calories in check, it involves less work (no oil or fryers needed)—and you can make one big batch all at once. But most importantly, it tastes just as great as traditional fried okra.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, salt, pepper and paprika in bowl.
- Whisk egg in separate bowl. Dip okra in egg, then in cornmeal mixture. Work in batches to prevent clumping.
- Spread okra on prepared pan. Roast 30 to 35 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from pan with slotted spoon, and serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 349
- Carbohydrate Content 71 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 608 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g