Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese or a good melting vegan cheese, such as Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternatives (a VT fave), in place of the Gruyère.
- 2 Tbs. coarse-grain mustard
- 8 slices whole-wheat French bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 3 oz. reduced-fat Gruyère cheese, sliced or shredded
- 4 thin slices red onion, rings separated
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread mustard over 4 bread slices. Top each slice with cheese, 1 onion ring, 2 basil leaves, and 2 tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Whisk together milk and egg whites in shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer sandwiches to prepared baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 274
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 764 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g