Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese or a good melting vegan cheese, such as Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternatives (a VT fave), in place of the Gruyère.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread mustard over 4 bread slices. Top each slice with cheese, 1 onion ring, 2 basil leaves, and 2 tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Whisk together milk and egg whites in shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer sandwiches to prepared baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 764 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g