Cornmeal and rice cereal replace breadcrumbs as a crispy coating for these dip-friendly tofu fingers (see dip recipes, right). The leftover coating that gets toasted alongside the tofu sticks tastes great sprinkled on salad greens as an alternative to croutons.
- 1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbs. gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free whole-grain rice cereal
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 cups chopped bok choy
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and drain in colander over sink for 30 minutes. Cut tofu into 16 sticks, and sprinkle with tamari. Set aside. Combine flaxseeds with 3/4 cup hot water in small bowl, and let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine cornmeal, sesame seeds, rice cereal, cumin, and chili powder in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Crush cereal mixture with hands or rolling pin, and stir to combine.
- Dip 1 tofu stick in flaxseed mixture, then drop in cereal mixture. Press cereal mixture onto tofu stick, then transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tofu sticks. Sprinkle remaining cereal mixture on top of and around tofu sticks. Bake 20 minutes, or until tofu sticks are golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté bok choy 5 to 7 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to serving platter.
- Sprinkle extra baked coating over bok choy, then arrange tofu sticks on top. Serve with dipping sauces.
- Serving Size: Serves 4 (16 sticks)
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g