These mashed potatoes are "so rich and satisfying, I sometimes just serve them with plain tofu," says Chef Bryant Terry.
- 3/4 cupServings
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup unflavored rice milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
1. Boil potatoes in enough water to cover 25 minutes, or until soft.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion, oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne in skillet over low heat 30 minutes, or until browned. Stir in rice milk and thyme.
3. Drain potatoes, and mash. Whisk onion mixture into potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Recipe from the November 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 213 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g