In the South, no Thanksgiving would be complete without a mess o greens. This is an ideal make-ahead dish because the greens always taste better a day or two after theyve been cooked.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 3 lb. curly kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in kale and 2 cups water. Cover, and cook 30 minutes, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper. If making ahead, cool, and store in airtight container. Just before serving, reheat kale mixture, then drizzle with vinegar, and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 127
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 120 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g