Frozen artichokes are usually of excellent quality and are very convenient to use. Cooking the curry powder for a minute or two takes away the harsh edge of the spice and adds a mellow flavor to this colorful and zesty dip. Serve with an attractive array of prepared raw vegetables, your favorite chips or crackers. You can make the dip up to 2 days ahead of time, and refrigerate it in a covered container.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. mild curry powder
- About 2 1/4 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and dried
- 2 Tbs. low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and add onions and celery. Cook, stirring often, until completely softened, for about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in artichoke hearts, and remove from heat. Cover, and set aside until cooled.
- Put artichoke mixture into a food processor, and process, scraping down sides of container as necessary, until artichokes are thoroughly chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and stir in yogurt and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 2 hours. Alternatively, refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
- Calories: 60
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 70 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g