This unusual rice salad gets its wonderful perfume from toasted coconut, cardamom and cloves. Brown basmati rice, a long-grain variety favored in Indian cuisine, adds a subtle aroma as well, but if it’s unavailable, you can substitute white basmati or even regular long-grain white rice. The nutty flavor of the basmati is enhanced by cooking it with fragrant Indian spices.
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 3.4 cup pine nuts (4 oz.)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, preferably organic, rinsed and drained
- Sesame Dressing (August '99, p37)
- 1 cup snow peas, strings removed
- 3 small carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Salad greens for serving
- Tofu Raita (August '99, p38)
- Make bouquet garni: Place cardamom pods, cloves and bay leaf in square of cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string.
- In large saucepan, bring 2 3/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, turmeric and bouquet garni and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until water is absorbed and steam holes appear in rice, about 20 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Place in large bowl, fluff with a fork and let stand until cool.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pine nuts on baking sheet and bake 1 minute; remove from oven and add coconut flakes. Bake until both are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Remove bouquet garni from cooled rice, then add chickpeas and 1/2 cup Sesame Dressing and mix gently to blend. Let stand at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Add snow peas; cook 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again. Cut each snow pea on diagonal into thirds.
- Stir toasted pine nuts and coconut, snow peas, carrots, cilantro, pepper and remaining salt into rice mixture. Add re-maining dressing; toss to blend. Serve over salad greens with Tofu Raita on the side.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 370
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 526 mg