- 5 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 2 (15-oz.) cans chickpeas
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside and keep warm until needed.
- In large, heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic, scallions, red peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt and curry powder. Stir, cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas (with liquid) and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in sweet potatoes. Over low heat, gently stir mixture about 2 minutes to allow sweet potatoes to release some of their starch. Be careful not to break them up completely. Add cilantro and stir to blend. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 357
- Carbohydrate Content: 70 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 802 mg