Few things are as simple and as good as egg salad. Mix it with sweet onions and a hint of curry powder, and youll have made a good thing even better. Makes 24.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 Tbs. low-fat mayonnaise or soy mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 thin slices raisin-walnut bread
- 1 cup clover sprouts or microgreens, optional
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cut eggs, scoop egg yolks into medium bowl and mash well with fork. Finely chop egg whites, and add to yolks. Mix in caramelized onions, mayonnaise, mustard and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Trim crusts from bread, and spread slices with egg salad.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally to make 24 triangles. Garnish with a fluff of sprouts, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 90
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 105 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g