Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This appetizer is inspired by Charlie Trotters recipe from Charlie Trotters Vegetables (Ten Speed Press, 1996). The dish brings together many tantalizingand exotic flavors.
- Caramelize shallots and butter in medium-sized sauté pan over low heat. Place eggplant in bowl, sprinkle with salt and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant, and toss in separate bowl with 11/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Place eggplant on nonstick sheet pan, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until slightly golden and tender. Leave oven on, increasing temperature to 350F.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 21/2 tablespoons olive oil and garam masala. Using pastry brush, brush Flatbread with garam masala oil and place some caramelized shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, grape tomatoes and eggplant on top of Flatbread. Place Flatbread in oven at 350F for 5 minutes, or until hot.
- To serve, place warm Flatbread on each plate and top with sprigs of fresh thyme and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in small mixing bowl. Let sit for 3 minutes, then add butter, salt and dill. Using an electric mixer fitted with dough hook or mixing by hand, add flour until fully incorporated and dough is smooth, but not sticky. Form into ball, place in lightly oiled bowl and cover with damp cloth. Let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes, or until tripled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Divide into 4 or 6 equal portions. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into thin, round discs about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Place on lightly oiled sheet pan, and score with tines of fork. Brush with egg wash, and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool.
There are many wines and many curry dishes that pair well together, but this casual dish calls for beer. The beer surrounds the slight bitterness of the eggplant and complements the curry. Try Goose Island Honker’s Ale or Great Lakes Burning River Ale.
- Serving Size SERVES 4-6
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g