30 minutes or fewer
This unusual ingredient combination surprised VT staffers with its rich, satisfying flavor. Buttermilk creates a tangy, creamy pasta saucewith half the fat of an Alfredo sauce.
- 8 oz. whole-wheat penne pasta
- 3 Tbs. slivered almonds
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 small tomato, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp. mild curry powder
- pinch cayenne
- 1 cup frozen peas, rinsed under hot water
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds, and toast 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to small bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 2 minutes, or until softened. Stir in cumin, and cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant.
- Add tomato, curry powder and cayenne. Cook 1 minute, or until liquid has evaporated. Add peas, and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and stir in buttermilk.
- Drain pasta, and transfer to large serving bowl. Toss with buttermilk sauce, top with cilantro and almonds, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 348
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 433 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g