Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
A superb fusion of flavors permeates this nourishing harvest dish. Always rinse canned chickpeas and other beans before using to reduce sodium as well as improve their flavor.
Meal Plan: While potatoes are steaming, bring large pot of water to a boil for cooking corn on the cob. Serve the sweet potato stew with corn on the cob, warmed pita bread and a salad of diced tomatoes and cucumbers in yogurt.
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add diced sweet potatoes, cover and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine chickpeas, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add spinach, cover and cook just until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, cilantro, sgreen onions, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt to taste until well combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories 309
- Carbohydrate Content 67 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 318 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g