This recipe is perfect for making ahead of time (follow the instructions in Down-Home Vegetable Pot Pie).
- 1 recipe pastry topping from Down-Home Vegetable Pot Pie(January, 01/p.56)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- 1 head cauliflower, cut in florets (4 1/2 to 5 cups)
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1. Prepare and refrigerate pastry. Lightly grease 10- or 11-inch deep-dish pie pan and set aside.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 8 to 9 minutes. Stir in garlic and curry powder, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add vegetables, broth and salt and stir to mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes; stir in tomatoes.
- In small bowl, mix sour cream and flour until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer vegetables to prepared pie pan and let cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. On sheet of lightly floured wax paper, roll pastry into circle just slightly larger than pie plate. Invert pastry over pie pan, then peel off paper. Tuck edges of pastry inside edge of pan. Poke steam vents in pastry with knife. Bake until pastry is golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 351
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 519 mg