Starting with ready-to-bake biscuits for the base, this dessert (developed by former Vegetarian Times food editor Alexandra Greeley) is a fun twist on an empanada, or turnover.
- 3/4 cup low-fat lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 16.3-oz. pkg. giant ready-to-bake biscuits
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together yogurt, walnuts, dates, raisins and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Lightly dust both work surface and biscuits with flour. Roll out one biscuit into 4x6-inch oval. Brush edges with water; spoon 2 Tbs. yogurt mixture in center of bottom half of oval. Fold top half over filling, pressing wet edges together with fingers. Crimp edges closed with fork. Repeat with remaining biscuits and filling.
- Place on prepared baking sheet; bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
- Meanwhile, blend confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Remove turnovers from oven, and brush with lemon glaze. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 538 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g