Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Starting with ready-to-bake biscuits for the base, this dessert (developed by former Vegetarian Times food editor Alexandra Greeley) is a fun twist on an empanada, or turnover.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stir together yogurt, walnuts, dates, raisins and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Lightly dust both work surface and biscuits with flour. Roll out one biscuit into 4×6-inch oval. Brush edges with water; spoon 2 Tbs. yogurt mixture in center of bottom half of oval. Fold top half over filling, pressing wet edges together with fingers. Crimp edges closed with fork. Repeat with remaining biscuits and filling.
- Place on prepared baking sheet; bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
- Meanwhile, blend confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Remove turnovers from oven, and brush with lemon glaze. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 317
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 538 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g