Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
In Morocco, both fresh cilantro and dried, ground coriander are used to flavor stews such as this tagine. Try filling a pepper mill with coriander seeds for an original twist on ground pepper.
1. To make Eggplant Tagine: Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. Add eggplants, coriander, cumin, honey, and red pepper flakes. Sauté 5 minutes, or until eggplants are softened. Add tomatoes, cover,
and simmer 20 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and eggplant is tender. Stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
2. To make Cilantro-Mint Yogurt Sauce: Purée all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Serve tagine warm over steamed couscous or bulgur (or brown rice if avoiding gluten), topped with Cilantro-Mint Yogurt Sauce.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 312
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 483 mg
- Sugar Content 29 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g