This is like the one you remember from childhood, only without the chicken. (See make ahead instructions at end of recipe.) The baking powder in the pastry gives it a light, flaky top.
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped ( 2/3 cup)
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- Pastry topping
- 1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick (8 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 1/2 Tbs. ice-cold water
- 2 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice (2 1/3 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- Make pastry: In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and pulse on/off until blended. Add butter and pulse on/off until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse on/off until mixture is evenly dampened. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons water and process until dough forms large crumbs and can be easily packed.
- Transfer dough to work surface and form into ball. Knead dough 2 or 3 times, then place on large sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten into 3/4-inch thick disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ûF. Meanwhile, make filling. Bring medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots, corn and peas; boil 5 minutes. Drain vegetables and transfer to medium bowl.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, 8 to 9 minutes. Stir in oil and flour and cook over low heat, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour sauce over vegetables and stir to mix well. Season with thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer vegetables to 9 1/2- or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan; smooth top. Let cool 15 minutes. On a sheet of lightly floured wax paper, roll pastry into circle just slightly larger than pie pan. Invert pastry over pie pan and peel off paper. Tuck edges of pastry inside edge of pan; poke several steam vents in crust with knife. Bake until pastry is golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand briefly before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 17 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 431 mg