This is like the one you remember from childhood, only without the chicken. (See make ahead instructions at end of recipe.) The baking powder in the pastry gives it a light, flaky top.
- Make pastry: In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and pulse on/off until blended. Add butter and pulse on/off until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse on/off until mixture is evenly dampened. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons water and process until dough forms large crumbs and can be easily packed.
- Transfer dough to work surface and form into ball. Knead dough 2 or 3 times, then place on large sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten into 3/4-inch thick disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ûF. Meanwhile, make filling. Bring medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots, corn and peas; boil 5 minutes. Drain vegetables and transfer to medium bowl.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, 8 to 9 minutes. Stir in oil and flour and cook over low heat, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour sauce over vegetables and stir to mix well. Season with thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer vegetables to 9 1/2- or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan; smooth top. Let cool 15 minutes. On a sheet of lightly floured wax paper, roll pastry into circle just slightly larger than pie pan. Invert pastry over pie pan and peel off paper. Tuck edges of pastry inside edge of pan; poke several steam vents in crust with knife. Bake until pastry is golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand briefly before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 41 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 431 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g