Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
These sweet, gooey breakfast treats are best straight from the oven, so calculate rising times to allow them to bake just before serving. Recipe adapted from Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads, reprinted by permission of John Wiley & Sons.
1. Mix 1ı/2 cups water with 1 cup ice cubes in bowl. Combine 3ı/4 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in separate bowl. Measure 1ı/2 cups ice water, and combine with oil in third bowl. Vigorously stir water mixture into flour mixture. (Dough should be slightly stiff; stir in just enough additional flour to stiffen dough slightly, if necessary.) Brush dough top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let dough rise 15 to 20 hours at room temperature (first rise).
2. Pulse brown sugar, remaining 2/3 cup flour, and cinnamon in food processor until combined. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir raisins or walnuts, if using, and ı/4 cup crumb mixture into dough.
3. Brush 12 jumbo muffin cups with melted margarine. Place 1 tsp. melted margarine, 1ı/2 Tbs. corn syrup, and then 1 Tbs. crumb mixture in bottom of each muffin cup. Divide dough into 12 pieces, and press into prepared muffin cups. Press remaining crumb mixture on top of dough, and drizzle with any remaining margarine. Tent muffin tins with foil coated with cooking spray. Let rise 1ı/4 to 2ı/2 hours at room temperature (second rise). Second rise alternatives: let dough stand in turned-off microwave with 1 cup boiling water 45 minutes to 1ı/2 hours for accelerated rise; for extended rise, refrigerate up to 48 hours, then set out at room temperature. When dough nears foil, remove, and let rise until it doubles in size.
4. Set oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Set muffin pans on baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until skewer inserted in thickest part of buns comes out with just a few particles. Run knife around buns to loosen. Invert buns onto serving plate. Scrape out sauce clinging to cups, and spread on buns.
- Serving Size Makes 12 sticky buns
- Calories 474
- Carbohydrate Content 76 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 475 mg
- Sugar Content 30 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g