Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Mashed banana binds to flour the same way eggs do, creating moist treats that are low in fat and cholesterol. To make this loaf even more decadent, prepare a Chocolate Drizzle. Melt 1 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate in double boiler or in microwave at low (20 percent) power. Drizzle over cooled loaf or muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, 3 6- x 3-inch miniloaf pans, or 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, mashed banana, oil, and vanilla in separate bowl. Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan(s). Bake large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, miniloaves 35 to 45 minutes, or muffins 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan(s). Unmold, and cool. Drizzle with Chocolate Drizzle if desired.
- Serving Size Makes 1 loaf, 3 miniloaves, or 12 muffins
- Calories 172
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 1 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g