Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Oh, what a difference lemon and capers make on oven-fried vegetables! This twist on classic Wiener Schnitzel is simple to prepare, yet the elegant flavors and presentation make it ideal for entertaining.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To make Schnitzel: Whisk together milk and egg in wide bowl. Spread breadcrumbs on large plate. Dip mushrooms and eggplant slices into milk mixture, then coat slices with breadcrumbs. Shake off excess crumbs, and set on prepared baking sheet. Spray vegetables with cooking spray, and bake 10 minutes. Flip vegetables, spray with cooking spray, and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender and breadcrumbs are dark golden brown. Set aside.
- To make Lemon-Caper Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until butter begins to brown. Stir in oil and capers, and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and add lemon juice and parsley.
- To serve: Stack 1 mushroom and several eggplant rounds on each plate; drizzle with Lemon-Caper Sauce, and garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 292
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 39 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 499 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g