Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Oven-frying the eggplant slices makes a succulent dish that has only 9 grams of fatinstead of 20 or more.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat 2 baking sheets and 8×11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg whites with 3 Tbs. water in bowl until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices into egg whites, then coat with breadcrumb mixture and arrange on baking sheets.
- Bake until golden; turn; bake until golden again, about 30 minutes total.
- Stir basil into marinara sauce. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in baking dish. Top with half of eggplant, slightly overlapping slices. Cover with 1 cup of sauce; sprinkle with half of mozzarella. Cover with remaining eggplant, and top with remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 247
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 752 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g