- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 Tbs. red wine or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 to 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- coarsely grated
- Peel eggplant, then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Layer in colander, lightly sprinkling salt between layers. Place a 2- to 3-pound weight, such as a pot of water or large can of tomatoes, on top. Leave on 30 minutes or longer while eggplant drains, then rinse and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat wine or broth over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with black pepper. Add tomatoes, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Uncover pot, stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer gently until sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Add herbs and simmer 2 minutes longer. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350ûF. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray. Dip eggplant slices in water or broth and then in bread crumbs until well coated, and arrange on prepared sheet. Bake until eggplant is tender and crumbs are crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Spray bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom and arrange half the eggplant slices on top. Scatter about one-third of the mozzarella over eggplant, spread on thicker layer of sauce than first layer and sprinkle half of the Parmesan on top. Repeat layers, beginning with eggplant and ending with Parmesan.
- Cover and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle over remaining mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand a few minutes and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 17 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 608 mg