Salting eggplant before cooking draws out excess moisture and tames any bitterness. If you cannot find hominy, simply substitute canned chickpeas or pinto beans.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants (about1 lb. each), halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
- 1 15-oz. can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup soy “meat” crumbles
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Scoop seeds from centers of eggplant halves, leaving shell about 1/2-inch thick around the sides. Sprinkle generously with salt, and let sit 10 minutes.
- Mix salsa, hominy, crumbles, breadcrumbs and cilantro in medium bowl. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse salt off eggplant halves; pat dry with paper towels. Fill with hominy mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place stuffed eggplants in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add 1/2 inch water to dish, and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, or until stuffing is hot and eggplants are tender. Uncover, and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is browned. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 321
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1000 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g