Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Salting eggplant before cooking draws out excess moisture and tames any bitterness. If you cannot find hominy, simply substitute canned chickpeas or pinto beans.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Scoop seeds from centers of eggplant halves, leaving shell about 1/2-inch thick around the sides. Sprinkle generously with salt, and let sit 10 minutes.
- Mix salsa, hominy, crumbles, breadcrumbs and cilantro in medium bowl. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse salt off eggplant halves; pat dry with paper towels. Fill with hominy mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place stuffed eggplants in 9×13-inch baking dish. Add 1/2 inch water to dish, and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, or until stuffing is hot and eggplants are tender. Uncover, and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is browned. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 321
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 1000 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g